Wednesday, June 13, 2012

On a Slightly More Serious Note

I'm a Sunday School teacher.  I teach the adult Gospel Doctrine class in our ward and have done so for over four years now.  I love doing it, and people seem to appreciate what I do. 

I always try to teach in the most positive way possible, to be as encouraging and uplifting as I can.  Yeah, occasionally I challenge myself and my class to better live a principle, but for the most part I try to focus on helping people feel the Spirit of the Lord and to feel the love, hope and happiness of the gospel of Jesus Christ.   I've wondered sometimes if the way I teach is too sunshine-y (ok, not a word but I'm using it), or that I need to be a more detailed scriptorian or something like that.  However, very recently I started reading the manual Teaching, No Greater Call for my scripture study and today in the second chapter "Nourishing the Soul"  I ran across this quote:

"Teaching that is nourishing to the soul uplifts others, builds their faith, and gives them confidence to meet life’s challenges. It motivates them to forsake sin and to come to Christ, call on His name, obey His commandments, and abide in His love."  (pg.5)

Now, I'm sure there are lots of things I can do to improve my teaching, which is why I'm studying the manual, but this quote at least made me feel like I was on the right track and also confirmed my testimony that the gospel is about love and hope. 

No comments: