So it's been a rough couple of days these last two days, a weird power outage coupled with a bout of major upset stomach and other assorted annoyances. However, this blog is going to focus on the great weekend I had going to visit my friend Michaele in Williamsbug.
I have to admit that after taking Trax in Utah, I've come to associate train rides with warehouse doors and graffiti and while there was plenty of that on my four hour tour (I have now seen way too much of the least scenic bits of Richmond, Virginia), most of the train ride is actually quite pretty. There were lots of cute small towns, rivers, creeks, swamps, tons of trees and at least one Civil War related National Park. My favorite part was views like this.
Michaele did a great job of planning a fun weekend that kept us out of the mind numbing heat and humidity (104 degrees plus humidity is just freaking ridiculous). Here's the Governors Palace at Colonial Disneyland...uh sorry...Colonial Williamsburg.
We also went to several of the other buildings at Colonial Williamsburg. The next day she drove me out to Yorktown, where I got the following requisite Yorktown Victory Monument shot. What was more fun was walking along the river. What a beautiful place.
Finally we went to the museum that talks about the settlement of Jamestown. I admit it's one of the better museum I've seen that incorporates all of the different kinds of peoples and cultures that would have existed there. One of my favorite exhibits was one about the archaeological artifacts from Werowocomoco, which was Powhatan's main village and the center of power for a huge group of tribes that lived in that region. (Powhatan was the father of Pocahontas). Anyway, it was a lovely museum and air conditioned!
Michaele also picked out some awesome restaurants, and we had some seriously great food. I had the best fish sandwich I've ever eaten in my life! It was great.
I think the best part about the weekend was that it successfully distracted me from how much I'm missing home these days. I think the best part about the trip was just getting to be with a good friend for a few days.

No comments:
Post a Comment