Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Middle Child Syndrome

I have middle child syndrome...ok, not in my family, but apparently when it comes to film franchises. We saw Eclipse yesterday, and while I enjoyed it* (see footnote below), I didn't like it as much as New Moon. This seems to be a pattern with me, Empire Strikes Back is my favorite Star Wars Movie and The Two Towers is my favorite Lord of the Rings Movie

I have specific reasons for why I like each of these movies that have nothing to do with their order in the franchise, and yet it seems to me that they all have something in common. I think characters tend to be at their best in middle child films, maybe because we don't have to introduce everyone from scratch and no one's worried about the conclusion just yet.

*My favorite two lines from Eclipse:

Edward about Jacob: "Doesn't he own a shirt?"

Jacob to Edward: "You have to face the fact that I'm hotter than you."

No comments: