Fortune Magazine made a list of 100 great things about America. Largely silly, and some of which I could do without (kegs? really?) it inspired me to think about the things I love about this country http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/07/02/100-great-things-about-america-part-1/?hpt=C2. So here they are 15 things - some serious, some less so - that I adore about the country of my birth
1. That the Founding Fathers created a Constitution and Bill of Rights so astounding that while it may not have initally included everyone, almost everyone has wanted to be included.
2. That Political disagreements are settled by words and court cases and not with guns and genocide.
3. Our diversity, of people and cultures yes, but also of the landscape. To have a country that can lay claim to Yellowstone, Death Valley and the Everglades is a pretty miraculous thing.
4. Religous Freedom.
5. That a girl born in a lower middle class home, to parents who didn't graduate from college, can currently be working on a PhD.
6. The Smithsonian Museums - they are free, they are amazing, and next week I'll get to go again!
7. (Something the Fortune List got Right) Drinks with Ice.
8. Country Music. Bring on the George Strait and the Brad Paisley,
9. That I live in a country where tacos, gyros, pizza and chow mein come via drive through and delivery
10. McDonalds.
11. American writers from high brow to low: Mark Twain, Shannon Hale, Emily Dickinson, Stephenie Meyer, Willa Cather, Langston Hughes, Sherman Alexie, Elizabeth Peters....
12. Popcorn.
13. The Statue of Liberty.
14. Road Trips. Yes I know road trips are possible in other countries, but our country is huge, loves cars, and has wierd and interesting places to visit.
15. Independence Day. At least once every year I have tears of gratitude and joy, and I'm delighted to have a holiday that requires me to remember to be thankful for where I live.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment