Monday, October 3, 2011

Beautiful But Soulless

I've been anticipating watching the new version of Jane Eyre since I first heard it was coming out.  I was finally able to watch it today and was fairly disappointed.  It's not that the movie is bad, it isn't, the cinematography is beautiful and foreboding, it is a respectful treatment of Charlotte Bronte's book, and there were a couple of really nice moments.  I can even forgive the actors for being far too attractive for the characters they are supposed to be playing.  However, there wasn't a lot of emotional spark between the Jane and Rochester characters in this movie (they seemed to try to make up for this with  lengthy make out scenes) and Jane's resilient spirituality and quick and direct intellect, perhaps my favorite things about the book, are almost nonexistent in this version.  To me Jane also comes off as a bit pouty and petulant, which may be the most unforgivable problem with the film.   In any case, it's the third or fourth time this year when I've gone into a movie wanting to love it and come out disappointed, maybe I'm just too hard to please.

No comments: