Friday, August 23, 2013

Pickles!

So a couple of weeks ago in an effort to expand my homemaking skills (and because we had A LOT of cucumbers that day) I tried my hand at making refrigerator pickles.  Everything I had read said they preserve for a couple of months without all of the drama of normal canning.  So I made three jars of them using a recipe I found online.  When I first tasted them they were pretty tart and spicy, so after doing some reading, I thinned out the liquid with a bit more water.  While I would tweak the recipe (more dill, less garlic, less vinegar, no red pepper flake) they are pretty good.  We've been eating them instead of our jar of store bought ones, so I think that's a good sign.  The other day, after eating about half a jar, Tracy said something like, "I don't think you'll have to worry about these going bad before they get eaten."   It made me pretty happy.

2 comments:

Just Julie said...

My grandma always made her own pickles and my sister loved them! I don't like pickles.

pambelina said...

I love pickles! But only dill. Sweet pickles are evil.