Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Handwriting

I recently read a magazine article extolling the virtues of writing by hand.  Apparently, it does all of this good stuff for our brain that typing doesn't. It helps with memory, curing depression, and a whole number of things including creativity.  I definitely write more creatively when I write by hand. 

The other night I sat down to write for "a few minutes" and quite a while later found that I'd written over 1600 words, and they were good words.  It also helped that I put my headphones on and listened to music that matched the mood of what I was writing.   Still, I think the process of writing by hand definitely does something for my creative brain that mere typing doesn't tap in to.  

From a creative writing standpoint it also has two other real advantages.  First, when I type the handwritten material into the computer I'm able to give the words a quick edit with out getting bogged down in major revisions.  Also, typing is a great task to keep me connected with my novel on days when my brain is to tired to work on new material.