Ok, so I'm not claiming to be a chef or anything, but I'm finally to a place in my life where I can admit I'm a pretty good cook. I can experiment and things come out well and I've gotten to the point that 80 percent of the time (unless I'm baking) I don't even use recipes anymore.
However, there are some interesting consequences to being a decent cook. For example, a couple of weeks ago some decent brand frozen dinners were on sale at the grocery store and so I bought a couple thinking they'd be good for lunches when I'm home. Well, I had one today, and it wasn't awful by any means, but it wasn't really good either, and I unfortunately could picture what it would taste like if I'd made that dish myself. Now granted it's a more complicated dish than I would make for lunch - ever - but still I couldn't help but make the comparison. So, probably won't be buying those again.
It also changes what I order at restaurants. I never order pork chops, because Tracy's grilled ones are so amazing why would I bother, and I'm ordering steak less and less for the same reason. (He made AMAZING steaks for Valentines Day. I'm very lucky.) I do like ordering salads, because while I could make them, it's a lot of work to not only chop all that stuff, but also to buy it and keep it fresh enough that it's there when you actually want one.
I suppose it's good that I'm more inclined to eat stuff I've made myself, but I also think back to being a single girl and eating lots of frozen easy stuff, because, honestly it wasn't really that much worse than what I generally cooked. Not as tasty, but occasionally easier :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment