Sunday, February 10, 2013

Change Can Definitely Be Good

So our New Beginnings for our church's Young Women Program is tonight and since I'm Young Women's President in our ward I've been preparing some things to say about Personal Progress (this is the goal setting/recognition program for the young women).  One of the things I'm going to talk a little about is the history of Young Women Recognition Programs in The Church.  The first program was a Beehive Handbook from 1915

Requirements of 1915 handbook included: 
-  Care successfully for a hive of bees for one season and know their habits. 
- Cover 25 miles on snowshoes on any six days. 
- During two weeks, keep the house free from flies, or destroy at least 25 flies daily.
- Without help or advice, care for and harness a team at least five times [and] drive 50 miles during one season. 
-  Clear sagebrush off of one-half acre of land.

As leaders of the Young Women we are encouraged to participate in this program with our girls.   Can I just say how grateful I am that the new program contains a lot more scripture reading and a lot less fly killing and agricultural knowledge?  Because I'm pretty sure I'd flunk that in a hurry. 

1 comment:

pambelina said...

Now I kind of want a hive of bees.