It's been 13 days since I made my 1,000 word a day goal and I'm startled, honestly, by how effective that goal is. Today I was really tired when I sat down to work, and at first I worried that this was the day that I wouldn't make it. Still, I did manage to think of a scene I need to write for the novel that is a follow-up to Rell, and once I got started it was a bit easier than I expected. Overall, the goal has led to forty-four pages of writing in less than two weeks. Which is pretty exciting, considering that when the month started I was staring down the biggest case of writer's block I'd had in recent memory.
I think there are a couple reasons for why this works:
First, 1000 words is a significant number of words, enough to feel like an accomplishment and yet not so large that it's impossible.
Second, I've done my very best to treat it almost like it's work hours that I need to put in. Not a hobby, or something that would be nice to get to, but something that I truly must do every day.
Now, here's hoping I can keep it up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment