Thursday, April 7, 2011

New Decorations

It used to be that I would decorate for the holidays with anything that was cute, regardless if it matched the rest of my house or not.  I still think there's a lot to be said for that method, but lately I've been more into matching the holiday decor to my home, since my living room is basically earth tones and red, this is usually pretty easy.  Red is an amazingly versatile color when it comes to holiday decorations: Halloween/Thanksgiving - Red, Orange and Yellow, Valentine's Day - Red and Pink, Fourth of July - Red, White and Blue, Christmas-Red and Green.

There is one holiday however, that throws a wrench in this handy scheme....Easter.  Everything for Easter is pastels, or even more frustratingly, neon bright.   I've been keeping an eye out for Easter decorations that would blend in to my living room and there are some, but, like the $25 rabbit at Cost Plus, none of them had been budget friendly.

So, since I always like having some sort of basic project to do while watching General Conference I decided to try my hand at painting some of those bright plastic eggs I had on hand from previous years.  I wasn't too sure about whether or not I liked the first one, but Tracy encouraged me to keep going, and I think in the end they turned out pretty good.  It also sparked my creativity enough that I made a cute Easter sign as well.  Now, these don't match perfectly, but the muted tones are much better, and I was just happy I could come up with something cheap.


No comments: