Monday, February 28, 2011

Fictional Characters #8 - Hero Collection

Han Solo (played by Harrison Ford in Star Wars and assorted sequels)
Several of my favorite movie lines of all time belong to this character.  “Wonderful girl! Either I’m going to kill her or I’m beginning to like her.”  As a kid I always wanted to be Han Solo’s other sidekick, and that feeling has never quite gone away.
Jack Sparrow (played by Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean and assorted sequels)
From the moment he steps off his sinking ship onto the dock, Jack Sparrow makes me laugh.  Is he a nut job?  Absolutely.  Morally questionable?  Absolutely.  Entertaining?  Absolutely.
Wolverine (played by Hugh Jackman in X-Men and assorted sequels)
In my opinion Wolverine is the runner up in the “Who’s the best super hero” debate.  (Tracy would probably put him in first place, and I’ll forgive him for that.)  My first real exposure to the X-Men world was this film, and they rightly put Wolverine at the heart of it.  The grouchy, slouchy demeanor combined with his protective affection for Rogue was a heroic combination.  Plus, how cool or those claws?
Aragorn (played by Viggo Mortensen in Fellowship of the Ring and assorted sequels)
We have a joke at our house that if Tracy has any competition (which he doesn’t) it’s Aragorn.  It’s not just the swash buckling sword fights, though I always love those, Aragorn is humble, kind, and devoted to his true love.  How can you not like a guy like that?
Indiana Jones (played by Harrison Ford in Raiders of the Lost Ark and assorted sequels)
I have Raiders of the Lost Ark practically memorized and I’m not ashamed to admit it.  If I ever own a dog, it’s going to be tough not to name him Indy.

No comments: