I’ve read this book several times, but it had been awhile, so a few months ago I downloaded the audio version from the library, and found myself hanging on every word. While the romance in it is good stuff, I found myself even more moved by Jane’s absolute confidence in herself and her convictions even though she is “poor and plain” and has grown up without anyone to love or take care of her.
Jo March (from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott)
I think it’s interesting that Jo is played as the unconventional one of her sisters, and yet she’s the protagonist and the one that I think most girls in America identify with. In fact, I remember my grandma telling me that she always liked Jo. Plus Jo wants to be a writer. So of course, she makes my list.
Thursday Next (from The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde)
The Thursday Next novels are difficult to describe, part mystery, part urban fantasy, but not really either. They’re set in a world where literature is as popular and mainstream as professional sports. One of the best things about them is the character of Thursday Next, a literary detective with a quirky past and even quirkier family, she’s the glue that makes these wacky novels work.
Elizabeth Bennet (as played by Jennifer Ehle in the mini-series Pride and Prejudice)
I’ve written before about the fact that I struggle to read Austen, but I generally love the movies they make from Austen. The very best of those is the BBC’s 1995 miniseries of Pride and Prejudice. I’ve heard a lot said about Colin Firth’s Mr. Darcy, and don’t get me wrong, he does a great job. But in my opinion, the movie only works as well as it does because Elizabeth is so likeable. Believable for her time period and yet completely accessible for modern women. It’s just lots and lots of fun.
Rory Gilmore (played by Alexis Bledel in Gilmore Girls)
It’s not often I’ve had the experience of watching network television and wishing I was as well read as one of the characters. While I might not have always agreed with her life choices, it was nice to see the depiction of a teenage girl whose primary goal in life was to get the best education she could

No comments:
Post a Comment