When I went to that writer's conference, the novelist who was so kind about my book asked me "What other books are like this book?" and I didn't really know how to answer. I made a stab at suggesting some action heavy teen books I have read and then suggested that this is a bit like the television show Smallville, when of course, really it isn't. She then suggested I should read more young adult novels like my book. It's a first rate suggestion, and I should seek some out, but I do a lot of browsing both online and in the library, and I have to say I haven't read or seen too much like my book.
And yet, superheroes are absolutely everywhere these days, just not in my quieter, and I hope, character centric way. Yes, my book is like every story that has kids with extraordinary abilities, there's some stuff that's a little X-Men, a very small amount of Harry Potter (I have two boys and a girl as the main characters), etc. etc. And yet, my book isn't really like either of those and I feel like saying that it's similar isn't fair to either those creations or to mine. Shouldn't it be a good thing that there isn't anything else out there that's exactly like my book? It makes me wonder.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think it is a good thing that you have something unique. At the same time I think it is sad that there aren't more books in this genre with strong female leads. (Am I wrong about that?)
Post a Comment