Saturday, November 22, 2008

Good Abraham Lincoln Quote

Some of the students in the classes that I teach online recently chose to write an essay based on a debate about whether or not it was Abraham Lincoln that freed the slaves. Today I read a quote by Frederick Douglass that I think sums up both sides of the argument pretty well. At first, since I love Lincoln I thought I was going to hate it, but in the end I really liked the perspective and what it had to say:

"Viewed from the genuine abolition ground, Mr. Lincoln seemed tardy, cold, dull, and indifferent; but measuring him by the sentiment of his country, a sentiment he was bound as a statesman to consult, he was swift, zealous, radical, and determined" - Frederick Douglass

2 comments:

Michaele said...

Great quote!

I'm glad you started a blog- I've already bookmarked it. Just one question- you have a website?

Jenel said...

Yeah, we have a website. Its basically a few pictures and stuff, we're still kinda figuring out what to do with it