Today I met with my writing buddies, Pam, who's been my critique partner for awhile, and Jenny, who's a new writing friend. (Yes, Tracy has joked that maybe I'm collecting writing buddies named Jennie/Jenny the way I used to collect best friends named Becky). They are always great, but today they were particularly helpful with the novel I'm working on. Pam helped me walk through a scene I was really struggling with (seriously, I think I've spent two hours just staring at my computer screen this week trying to write it) and Jenny is giving me great feedback on my second draft. It's incredibly helpful to know what doesn't work, and sometimes even more importantly what does. I also feel like I help them as well, which is great feeling.
It's interesting because earlier today one of my TAs/grad school buddies was asking me about how to improve at writing and also how I managed to do anything other than schoolwork while I was getting my PhD. I think having a critique partner was a huge part of that. It gave me permission to work on my writing amidst all that grad school craziness because I had someone to be accountable to on the writing side of things. I realized how lucky I was to have that - so thanks Pam!
I also realized again how much storytelling and words inform my whole personality. Even my love of history grew out of a love of historical fiction, and even now I see the best history as telling stories that connect people with the past. I write stories, I watch stories, I read stories, and chances are at any given time when I don't have something else I have to think about I am thinking about a story - or writing one in my head. I sometimes (major geek public confession here) tell myself stories as I drive by myself as a way of keeping entertained.
I wouldn't know how to function in a world without narrative, both fiction and non-fiction, and it once again makes me grateful for libraries, shelves full of books, and friends, family and a husband who put up with a woman who has lots of imaginary friends running around in her head.
So if you want to be proud of me for writing a blog post about something other than a television show just stop now.
Speaking of emotional reactions to stories.....
I've gotten a whole bunch of people watching Arrow, and last week's episode sucked on so many levels (bad morals, bad storytelling, jerky characters) it made me angry in a very real way. I was talking with one of my Arrow watching buddies today and we've agreed to give it a couple more episodes to get back on target (silly pun intended) or we're both bailing. So I just feel the need to issue a pseudo-public apology to all the others I've roped in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I love you too.
I love you both. I love your that you post about tv shows. I do that too.
Post a Comment