M
MoviesMaverick- Beyond the fact that Graham Greene gives one of the single funniest performances ever, and one of, in my opinion, the best portrayals of an American Indian on film. This movie is just the perfect blend of adventure, romance and western silliness.
The Mummy - the sequels are extremely inferior, but the initial movie with Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, and John Hannah is so much fun. One of my favorite lines (especially since I was working in a library at the time) is Evie's proud declaration, "I...I am a librarian!"
The Man From Snowy River - this movie probably has a great deal to do with the fact that the second place entry on foreign countries I'd like to visit is Australia. It's also partly responsible for my desire to play the piano.
Books
Monstrous Regiment (Terry Pratchett) - My adviser has actually thought about assigning this book in her women and war class. Plus it's awesomely funny.
My Antonia (Willa Cather) - I have always kind of thought that Willa Cather is what Little House and the Prairie fans read when they grow up.
N
MoviesNational Treasure - In spite of the fact it stars Nicholas Cage and the fact that the Archivist in me almost has a heart attack every time they touch the Declaration of Independence, I still love this movie. Plus when I start missing the D.C. area, this movie is a good way to get a fix.
Books
Nation (Terry Pratchett) - On a deeper level, I think this book does lead you to question tradition and religious beliefs, but it does so while giving room for them to still be true and still mean something. It's another of those books that makes you think long after finishing it.
O
MoviesOcean's Eleven -Why is a movie about thieves so much fun? I don't entirely know. But I do love how clever it is, and how well it juggles so many characters at the same time.
Books
One in Thine Hand (Gerald Lund) - Before Gerald Lund wrote epic church history books he wrote this great novel that takes place during Israel's Yom Kippur War. A few years after reading it the first time I took a Middle Eastern History class, and was surprised with how well that novel set me up to start understanding what was going on in modern Israel.
Outlaws of Sherwood (Robin McKinley) - the first book I read by Robin McKinley and still one of those books I'd put on a list of ten I'd take to a deserted island.
P
MoviesThe Princess Bride - Of course, I mean I even dedicated a blog too it once.
Pirates of the Caribbean - The first one is the best.
Books
The Princess Bride (William Goldman) - Uh yeah, it's here twice. It's one of the few times when the book and the movie version of something are equally good.
TV
Pride and Prejudice - So is a miniseries a movie or TV? Not sure. Anyway, the BBC miniseries of Pride and Prejudice with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth is something I watch at least a couple of times a year. So much frothy British fun.

No comments:
Post a Comment