Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Agony and the Ecstasy of Decorating Ideas

So I've been reading a few blogs and occasionally watching a design show on television.  I love the creativity, the color, the can-do spirit, and in the cases of most things I read/watch, the relative frugality.  I love the idea that making things functional and beautiful is worthwhile, but...

They make me start to wish I could do something about my kitchen...my entirely functional, quite good sized, kitchen.  I pretty much adore the rest of our house (ok, not the treadmill in the living room, but that's a whole story for another day). We even whipped the pesky guest bedroom/laundry room/craft room into shape this year.  But aesthetically our kitchen is really, really hard to love - raw wood "trim", 1980's fake-oak-trim-white laminate-cabinets, bad faux-finish, peachy cream paint job.   I spend about a half hour dreaming about what it could be, start to get wild ideas involving 5 coats of paint and molding I have no idea how to work with...

Then it hits me, especially at this moment in time, that any degree of whining over a kitchen is just about the most ungrateful thing that a person could be doing right now.   Did I mention my kitchen is entirely functional?  Did I mention that I have a kitchen, which means I have a home?  Where is my gratitude?!  So then I decide to be grateful, ignore my ugly but perfect kitchen, until next time I see a design idea and the ridiculous cycle starts all over again.

No comments: