I have always been one of those people with a weakness when people use guilt as a tool of manipulation. My Mom, who is a miracle in most aspects, will admit that she was quite good at this when I was a kid and even gave me the magnet on my fridge that says "My Mother Is A Travel Agent for Guilt Trips."
By the time I reached early adulthood I was aware of how easily I could be manipulated this way and tried to start putting some distance between myself and anybody who used this to freely. I think one of my favorite things about the man I married is that he doesn't do this - at all. In fact, he goes out of his way to tell me I'm a good and kind person.
However, I still let guilt get to me sometimes. On some level, I do think that there is a fine line between empathy/concern and guilt, which does make navigating the issue a bit harder, and I suppose there are times when we need to feel guilty. Most of the time though, I'm feeling guilty over trivialities that are meaningless in the eternal scheme of things.
Someone who doesn't really know me that well, I won't say who, did their best to use guilt manipulation on me today. I fended it off with some gentle rapier wit and felt triumphant and not one bit guilty. I think this is a good thing. I want my behavior to be motivated by enthusiasm and love, not worry and guilt. Here's hoping I can remember that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment