Last night I discovered that Young Riders was available on the Netflix Instant Play library, so I pulled it up and watched the pilot episode. I loved that show as a teenager, and though it may have something to do with the cute boys on horses (which explains my twenty-second urge to see Jonah Hex before sanity kicked in), I think it also spoke to my genuine love for history. I told Tracy, in all honesty, that the show, coupled with my childhood love for the Little House books, probably changed my life and led me into my current career path. It also explains why I know an obscene amount about Wild Bill Hickok and Buffalo Bill Cody for a Twentieth-Century historian.
It made me think about the other popular culture things that have affected the course of my life. Now I'm not saying they are the main source of inspiration or guidance in my life, I'd like to think that my faith, family, friends and teachers have had the greater impact. However, I can't escape the fact that my life has been profoundly impacted by certain popular culture experiences. Here's some other examples I thought of:
Superman - This is a no brainer. I spent my entire high school career and the first half of my college career trying to be a journalist because I wanted to be Lois Lane.
Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword - This wasn't the first Robin Mckinley book I read and loved, but it was the first book I ever finished and said to myself, "I want to write a book like that." Speaking of which...
The Lord of the Rings films - One day after watching Fellowship of the Ring I was on break at the library and I was thinking about how I wished there were more women in the film. I wondered what kind of women I had in mind, and this girl popped into my head. Dark haired, quiet, with two swords and strange animal fur armor, her name was Rell, and I quickly discovered that this girl needed her own story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment