Monday, August 16, 2010

Query Letter Hell

Inspired in part by talking with my best writer buddy (my cousin Jennie) and a wish to actually have a writing career someday I sent out another small batch of query letters for Rell.  Every time I start to think about the process of getting published and the whole nature of the publishing industry it makes me a little crazy.  

 I love to read and I love writing and I think there is honest to goodness magic and miracles in words, but I'm always struck by how the grind of the publishing process and it's "beating your head against a brick wall" feeling is in direct contrast to the magic.  I read one agent's blog today that says he gets about 10,000 query letters a year and only picks "a small handful" to represent.  I think there are lottery tickets with better odds, and that is a truly depressing thought.

Luckily, I'm going to a local writing even this weekend called "Writing for Charity."  A bunch of authors donate their time and you get to talk about writing and have the first page of a manuscript critiqued.  They donate all the proceeds to a local charity.  I went a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, so hopefully it will make me feel a little less gloomy about the whole thing.  

No comments: