Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Persuasion

So last week, as an audiobook, I listened to Elizabeth Aston's Writing Jane Austen, it's a novel that's far more about writing than it is about Jane Austen and I really enjoyed it, especially in light of my new found freedom from writer's block.

However, the book did make me think about Jane Austen and the fact that I like the movies they make from her books (most of them anyway) but other than a forced and unpleasant junior high school experience of reading Pride and Prejudice I hadn't really given her books a try. 

So on Saturday, as part of a very fun date, Tracy and I went to Barnes and Noble and a copy of Jane Austen's Persuasion was on the bargain shelf.  I had heard it was her most serious novel and it was fairly short.  So I bought it and though I enjoyed it I'm still of the opinion that reading Jane Austen is a lot of work.  Oh, the characters are well drawn and the story is great, when you finally get to it, but I admit I'm probably going to stick with the movies from now on.

No comments: