Saturday, April 10, 2010

Civility

I've debated about posting a link to this, unwilling to add even a ripple to the raging political rapids that have often swirled around in my personal life, but some recent events have lead me to really value the council and perspective in this article.

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-mormon-ethic-of-civility

My favorite passage from this article is:

"So many of the habits and conventions of modern culture — ubiquitous media, anonymous and unsourced online participation, politicization of the routine, fractured community and family life — undermine the virtues and manners that make peaceful coexistence in a pluralist society possible. The fabric of civil society tears when stretched thin by its extremities. Civility, then, becomes the measure of our collective and individual character as citizens of a democracy. "

I know I need to work on this myself, but I would hope that everyone, especially those of us who strive to be disciples of Christ would remember that no matter the forum or the medium (or how high profile the person being discussed) we are always talking to and/or about our brothers and sisters.

No comments: