Friday, February 6, 2009

Changing the Subject

So nothing's really changed on Trace's employment front but I'm determined not to mope about it, and be optimistic that everything is going to work out.

So speaking of optimism in the face of potential doom and gloom, I've been studying for my exams and awhile back I read a book about the War of 1812. It reminded me of the circumstances in which the "Star Spangled Banner" was written. Washington D.C. had just been burned by the British as part of a siege to basically destroy the Chesapeake region, the British navy was wreaking havoc on U.S. trade, and the mish-mash bunch of militia and tiny standing army was losing more than they were winning. I think it's an inspiring thing to remember that one of the most patriotic symbols of our country was created in one of its most uncertain moments. I just thought that was appropriate for today.

No comments: