Every once and awhile when I feel uneasy in life I take a look and judge it by what a young version of myself might think. (This started years ago after I watched the Disney movie The Kid.) The surprising thing is that most of the time, from that perspective things look pretty darn good.
Yeah, she'd be irritated I don't have a book published yet and that I haven't been to Scotland or Australia. And I think she'd be startled by just how many loads of dishes and laundry adulthood requires.
But as I mentioned earlier this week - she'd be pretty delighted by Comic Con. By having a husband like Tracy. By such simple things as owning a laptop with a Superman symbol on the outside and the fact that I can cook (or not cook) pretty much whatever I want every day. The PhD would be impressive to her, in a way that it isn't, but probably should be, to boring old me.
And my multiple full book shelves would knock her little socks off.
It's a way of looking at my life and thinking that while it isn't perfect...it's really not too bad at all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment