It’s All the BBC’s Fault
Sherlock Holmes (played
by Benedict Cumberbatch in Sherlock) –
Tracy and I rewatched the first episode of Sherlock yesterday, and I was struck
again with how well done this show is and Benedict Cumberbatch’s brilliant portrayal
of Sherlock Holmes is at the heart of that.
He creates a Sherlock who is fascinating, insufferable, and heroic all
at the same time.
John Watson (played by Martin Freeman in Sherlock) – Okay, so why do we put up with the above mentioned insufferable consulting detective? Mostly, because John Watson does. The dynamic friendship between the nearly unbalanced genius and the steady everyman makes for amazing television.
The Doctor (played by David Tennant and Matt Smith in Doctor Who) - Yes there are other actors who’ve played (and will play) this role, but it is these two who really created a character I could get behind. The Doctor always likes who you want him to like and helps the people you want him to help. And he does it while being irrepressibly goofy (at least in these two incarnations). It’s awesome.
Donna Noble (played by Catherine Tate in Doctor Who) – Okay, so I love Rose, Amy, Rory, River, and Clara but Donna Noble is my favorite companion of The Doctor. There are two reasons for this – first, she and David Tennant’s Doctor create one of the best male/female friendships I’ve ever seen on TV. Second, because Donna proves that even the most ordinary person can be extraordinary if someone gives them the chance.
It’s not Easy Being Green – the Arrow Gang
John Watson (played by Martin Freeman in Sherlock) – Okay, so why do we put up with the above mentioned insufferable consulting detective? Mostly, because John Watson does. The dynamic friendship between the nearly unbalanced genius and the steady everyman makes for amazing television.
The Doctor (played by David Tennant and Matt Smith in Doctor Who) - Yes there are other actors who’ve played (and will play) this role, but it is these two who really created a character I could get behind. The Doctor always likes who you want him to like and helps the people you want him to help. And he does it while being irrepressibly goofy (at least in these two incarnations). It’s awesome.
Donna Noble (played by Catherine Tate in Doctor Who) – Okay, so I love Rose, Amy, Rory, River, and Clara but Donna Noble is my favorite companion of The Doctor. There are two reasons for this – first, she and David Tennant’s Doctor create one of the best male/female friendships I’ve ever seen on TV. Second, because Donna proves that even the most ordinary person can be extraordinary if someone gives them the chance.
It’s not Easy Being Green – the Arrow Gang
Felicity Smoak (played by
Emily Bett Rickards) – This character
was supposed to be on the show for one episode…now’s she’s everyone’s
favorite. Including mine. If Oliver Queen doesn’t kiss this girl at some
point in the future, I will never forgive him.
John Diggle (played by David Ramsey) – Okay, so I’m getting the theme here that I like the depiction of friendships on television. Digg and Oliver are hilarious, and I love that Digg is always willing to call Oliver on his crap while still being the steadiest possible friend.
Oliver Queen (played by Stephen Amell) - So yes, there was an Oliver on the old list, and Justin Hartley’s Oliver is still awesome and by far the funnier of the two. But when I think Oliver Queen now, I have to admit Stephen Amell’s broodier version is the one that pops into my head. Especially after the episode “Three Ghosts.”
John Diggle (played by David Ramsey) – Okay, so I’m getting the theme here that I like the depiction of friendships on television. Digg and Oliver are hilarious, and I love that Digg is always willing to call Oliver on his crap while still being the steadiest possible friend.
Oliver Queen (played by Stephen Amell) - So yes, there was an Oliver on the old list, and Justin Hartley’s Oliver is still awesome and by far the funnier of the two. But when I think Oliver Queen now, I have to admit Stephen Amell’s broodier version is the one that pops into my head. Especially after the episode “Three Ghosts.”

No comments:
Post a Comment