So this is basically a list of things I'm pretty much sick of seeing in books, television and movies, and my reaction to that is to make my own solemn vow, here and now, never to stoop to them in my own stories.
I Vow to Never...
1. Give a character amnesia. Temporary addlepation from being shot or hit in the head is one thing, but total, or near total, amnesia as a plot device is getting old.
2. Bring a character back from the dead. This doesn't include the zombie, ghost, vampire category, since they're still dead, they just manage to be interesting even when dead. Not that I'm planning to write a vampiric-zombie-ghost story or anything, I just want to keep my options open.
3. Create a hero who must leave his love interest and/or friends "for their own good" because his life is oh so dark and dangerous. Seriously, I hate that. Suck it up and trust your people already.
That's all I can think of for now, and if any of you ever catch me doing any of these in my own writing you have my permission to burn my prose in effigy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment