Tracy and I decided to try buying our produce from the produce co-op Bountiful Baskets. You order the basket on Monday and pick it up on Saturday, it's a flat fee ($16.50) and you get a laundry basket full of stuff. The adventurous part is that you never know what that is going to be until you pick it up. This week was an especially good week with tomatoes, celery, asparagus, red peppers, lettuce, cucumbers, cauliflower, peaches, pluots (see below), cantaloupe, pears and bananas.
We've been doing it for four weeks now and we've had a lot of fun with it. I think it's something that we'll keep doing. Here's the results from our quite successful experiment:
Positive Results
We've been doing it for four weeks now and we've had a lot of fun with it. I think it's something that we'll keep doing. Here's the results from our quite successful experiment:
Positive Results
-We are eating more fruits and vegetables, I mean A LOT more. I've been washing a bowl of the fruit and leaving it on the counter and Tracy's been eating them as snacks
- The baskets are consistently a great deal and the quality has tended to be better than average.
- I'm starting to build up a nice little stock of frozen fruits and veggies in the freezer and preserving them this way (at least for the short term) has been easier than I thought it would be.
- Variety, we've had white sweet potatoes, heirloom cherry tomatoes and mangoes, among others. Things I wouldn't normally buy but were fun to have.
- Pluots, an apricot-plum hybrid that Tracy has declared might be his favorite fruit
- Melons, they're back baby! Tracy doesn't like melons and so I wasn't buying them, but now if they come I feel happy to eat them instead of guilty for spending money on something one of us doesn't like.
- Broccoli, we like broccoli salad, a lot. I made a big batch and it disappeared.
Neutral Results
- The baskets are consistently a great deal and the quality has tended to be better than average.
- I'm starting to build up a nice little stock of frozen fruits and veggies in the freezer and preserving them this way (at least for the short term) has been easier than I thought it would be.
- Variety, we've had white sweet potatoes, heirloom cherry tomatoes and mangoes, among others. Things I wouldn't normally buy but were fun to have.
- Pluots, an apricot-plum hybrid that Tracy has declared might be his favorite fruit
- Melons, they're back baby! Tracy doesn't like melons and so I wasn't buying them, but now if they come I feel happy to eat them instead of guilty for spending money on something one of us doesn't like.
- Broccoli, we like broccoli salad, a lot. I made a big batch and it disappeared.
Neutral Results
-Kale, yes I can chop it up and hide it in things, but not our favorite.
-Cauliflower, we don't like it cooked, but it's okay raw. I've snuck a piece or two into a smoothie and you can't taste it.
Negative Results
-Cauliflower, we don't like it cooked, but it's okay raw. I've snuck a piece or two into a smoothie and you can't taste it.
Negative Results
-Eggplant, even slathered in garlic and olive oil and grilled we didn't like it. I think if we get it again I'll have to find someone to donate it too.
-Lettuce, we've received it every week and it's the one thing you can't freeze and therefore the one thing I have had to throw away.
-Lettuce, we've received it every week and it's the one thing you can't freeze and therefore the one thing I have had to throw away.
P.S. – Tracy sold another item on Etsy, one of his computer clocks, which means he's sold one of each of the things he's posted – wind chime, mobile, and computer clock. It's very exciting!

No comments:
Post a Comment