So, I wrote this blog post once and then deleted it, because it was so fan geek I almost couldn't stand it, but well, (since I sat at my computer all day fiddling with stuff for a curriculum project map and re-writing stuff I'd already written) I don't have anything more interesting to say, so what the heck.
I bought the Twilight movie last week and, after watching the vampire baseball scene about 10 times and deciding that the kid who plays Jacob Black is so good I can almost forgive him for not actually having much of a Native American background, I've been on a renewed Twilight kick. Last night my friend Becky and I were talking about it, and it reminded me that Tracy and I had driven down Highway 101 between Port Angeles, WA and Seaside, OR on our honeymoon. Now for those of you not Twilight crazy this meant I had been to Forks (the town where Twilight is set).
Now I didn't remember Forks, but on a lark I dug out the video from that trip and, for no explicable reason other than that I was playing with the video camera at the time, there was Forks, WA in all its tiny glory. It's was a sunny day, which sort of ruins that whole Pacific Northwest vampire ambiance deal, but still it was fun to hear myself vaguely mocking its small size and then declaring it "kind of a nice little town."
Maybe the reason I think this is so fun is because so many of the novels I like are:
A) Set in places that don't exist, like Robin McKinley's Damar, or Shannon Hale's Bayern
B) Set halfway across the word, like Jane Eyre and The Count of Monte Cristo
Anyway, it was kind of fun.
Oh, and as an example of the universe's sense of humor, I know Stephenie Meyer started writing the book at the beginning of June 2003, which was the same time we were there on our honeymoon - and the book has a minor character named Mrs. Cope :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment